Biking the West Maui Loop
The famous West Maui Loop is a challenging 60 mile ride around West Maui. It offers gorgeous views, steep climbs (4000’ elevation gain!) and varied landscapes. This ride offers epic views of both the mountains and the coastlines, with Maui, Molokai and Lanai visible in the distance. Famed as one of the best 10 bike rides in the world by Bicycle Magazine, this ride should definitely be on every cyclist’s bucket list. Since RideSmart Maui was featured in a New York Times article, E-Bike Bliss on Two Hawaiian Islands, we’ve received many inquiries about this legendary ride. Here are some helpful tips on how to make the most out of your West Maui Loop adventure.
You will begin your journey at our electric bike shop in Kaanapali. Here, you need to decide if you want to ride clockwise or counterclockwise. Going counter-clockwise (southbound from bike shop) will have you riding along the ocean side of the road, but clockwise is preferred direction since it provides a nice tailwind to make your journey a bit easier.. The full loop will take between 3-6 hours and is more suited for advanced riders, but, it’s easy to complete shorter sections for beginners and those looking for a more leisurely experience. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to check out our 2 hour, 4 hour and full day self-guided tours!
TOP 10 SIGHTS TO SEE (CLOCKWISE):
Black Rock Beach, Kaanapali – 1 mile from bike shop
Just down the street from our shop you will find the famous Black Rock beach. You can make the stop now or on your way back to enjoy snorkeling or a stroll down Kaanapali Beach Walk.
Kapalua – 7 miles from bike shop
Enjoy riding through this world class resort town that is home to one of the top beaches in America. Enjoy the Maunalei Arboretum Trails to see native Hawaiian plants, or grab a cold beverage from one of the many restaurants.
Honolua Bay – 9 miles from bike shop
Take a quick mystical wooded walk from the road to Honolua Bay for some of the best snorkeling on the island.
Nakalele Blowhole – 15 miles from bike shop
Watch seawater spurt as high as 50ft in the air from the famous Nakalele Blow Hole. You can take the 30 minute Acid War Zone Trail, watch the blowhole from the viewing area at mile marker 38.5.
Black Rock Beach – Greatruns.com
Nakalele Blow Hole – Afar.com
Olivine Pools – 19 miles from bike shop
Beautiful tide pools formed by waves crashing against lava rock. Be extra cautious and watch from a distance. Less than 2 miles past this stop you will come across Lorraine Shave Ice and Julia’s Best Banana Bread. There are very few places to get food around here, so we recommend making a stop if you’re getting hungry. You still have a long way to go!
Waihee Point Lookout – 29 miles from bike shop
A nice place to stop for a photo! If you are looking to stretch your legs some more you may want to consider doing part of the Waihe’e Ridge Trail, a 4 mile ridge hike that offers lush scenery.
Market Street, Wailuku – 35 miles from bike shop
This cute historic street is a great place to stop for lunch or a snack. You can expect historical wooden buildings and theaters mixed with artsy coffee spots and mom and pop shops.
McGregor Point and Lighthouse – 43 miles from bike shop
Get out your cameras and take a photo at this incredible lookout great photo op! Watch the waves and passing boats and look for whales in the wintertime.
Olowalu Petroglyphs – 50 miles from bike shop
Front Street, Lahaina – 57 miles from bike shop
- The best e-bike for the 60 mile loop is the Hybrid Premium bike because it has the longest battery range. It is still recommended you review our battery saving tips to enjoy pedal assist for the duration of your journey.
- Get an early start, especially in the summer months. It will be cooler and less windy in the early morning.
- Ride in the wintertime opportunity to for the chance to see humpback whales!
- Pack plenty of water and sunscreen and wear comfortable clothes with decent sun coverage. You may also wish to bring a swimsuit, towel and mask/snorkel depending on the stops you plan to take. Bring cash in case you want to get banana bread or stop at a local fruit stand.
- If you are renting, our Bike Rescue package only covers from Olowalu to the Nakele Blow Hole. You will be responsible for getting your e-bike back to our shop if you run out of battery or get a flat tire, or you can pay an additional fee. We provide a small tool kit to perform minor repairs.
Ready to complete the West Maui Loop? Book a full day or multi-day e-bike rental or browse our sales promotions and consider purchasing an e-bike to own! Feel free to contact us before booking.
Prefer a shorter bike adventure? Book a self-guided tour or short-term e-bike rental to experience Maui’s beauty.